Monday, September 27, 2010

The Magic of Reflection

I think I finally have a machine for seeing that functions!  I made the viewing portal into a long rectangle, like a telescope, instead of trying to use something wider and closer to the eye because the length automatically gives you more control of the view.  I still wanted to keep the lines as well, using them to create perspective and to organize the view. 
So right now, I have a rectangle about 14inches long and on the inside each side has a layer of plexi.  Because the two sides are about an inch apart, it is close enough to use the reflectiveness of the material.  There are two horizontal lines running down the center of the sides towards the viewport.  I'm not sure if they are really forcing you to follow them though, becuase it is easy to lose the lines in the reflection.  I was also originally planning on create moveable partitions of plexi with vertical lines that would help break up the view.  The viewport is so small however that only one or two lines are visible at a time.  They look cool in reflection but I don't think they are working to create a perspective so I don't know if they are worth using. 
With or without the lines, the plexi creates essentially nine different views of the same thing.  This works well with the painting because Le Corbusier seems to present objects in multiple views at once, and I am doing the same with my landscape.  
A view from the inside

No comments:

Post a Comment